Friday, September 23, 2011

What's For Dinner?

So today despite waking up this morning with a migraine ( thank you Universe for Axert), I got out to do some grocery shopping. I stopped at our local Parkdale Market where I picked up some yellow beans, carrots and bartlett pears.
I am eating a pear right now and it is delicious! I love pears and have yearned for them all summer.

I also stopped at a local butchery in Ottawa ( Saslove's) for those of you who have never been there, all I can say is go.
This is where I get all my deli meats ( they are all nitrite free and have no preservatives and are made with local, hormone and antibiotic free meats) My favourite is the smoked turkey. I also picked up some locally raised grass fed beef and some nitrite free all natural chicken and lamb sausages.

I am trying to stay away from regular store bought beef because it is full of hormones and antibiotics and they are not grass fed but grain fed.
A cow is meant to eat grass people, not grain! Farmers get them to eat grains and fill them full of hormones so they will grow faster and so they can get to slaughter faster.
If I am going to eat meat, I want it to be the real deal and so I will spend the extra money ( yes it is more expensive), but I think if more people demand grass fed beef then more farmers would go back to the old and better ways of raising cows.

This afternoon like all afternoons I lay down to meditate or do relaxation. I find my fatigue levels have been quite bad lately and so sometimes I rest for an hour sometimes 3 hours. My favourite thing to listen to is a mindfulness CD by Jon Kabbat Zin. I actually look forward to it and try to think of it as my time, time for my body to rest, relax and heal, instead of thinking "boy I wish I felt well enough to be out doing something or working today." It really is all about thinking positively no matter what is going on in your life.. Somedays it is hard to do I know, but try it, it may help.


So what is on tonight's menu?

Barbeque steak which has been marinating most of the day in lemon juice, organic olive oil, garlic and onions. I marinate my meat in lemon juice as it helps to lower free radicals that occur when barbequing meat.  Free radicals can promote cancer cells. So if you are going to barbeque, think of marinating your meats in lemon juice or a type of vinegar for at least 4 hours prior to cooking.
Tonight's menu will also include lightly cooked yellow beans, and carrots done on the barbeque. Carrots are easy to cook on the barbeque and they have such a great flavour done this way. You can put them in foil with a little olive oil or if you have a bbq cooking grill for cooking vegetables you can use that. Sometimes I put some freshly ground black pepper on the carrots or even some fresh rosemary from our garden. Make sure they are all flat and not on top of each other, better for even cooking. Always cook on lower heat with your barbeque as it reduces the risk of free radicals occurring.

Well happy cooking, thanks for reading my blog and lots of love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment